[R] R in the NY Times

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Sat Jan 10 20:31:03 CET 2009

I think the substance of the issue is that the more eyes on code, the fewer
the bugs (assuming a well-designed examination and debugging process is in
place, as is typical for large open source projects like R). By this
(obvious?)criterion, both the remarks about the dangers of proprietary code
and the greater unreliability of R's lesser-used specialty packages, which
by their nature tend to be less carefully perused, are valid.

Perhaps an argument is that certain code might not get written at all if it
were not proprietary. Device drivers might be an example. But possibly other
than that, it does seem like SAS needs to reconsider their marketing
strategy and advertising claims.

Anecdotal remark: I orginally moved from S-Plus to R because R provided
**better** documentation, support, and had fewer bugs, which were more
rapidly fixed when found. One of my smarter "investment" choices.

Cheers to all,
Bert Gunter