[R] Matrix: Problem with the code

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 01:24:08 CET 2009

Well, mat doesn't have any dimensions / isn't a matrix, and we don't
know what p is supposed to be. But leaving aside those little details,
do you perhaps want something like this:

      x<-c(23,67,2,87,9,63,8,2,35,6,91,41,22,3)
      p <- 5
      mat<- matrix(0, nrow=p, ncol=length(x))
      for(j in 1:length(x))
      {
          for(i in 1:p)
              mat[i,j]<-x[j]^i
      }

Two notes: I didn't try it out, and if that's what you want rather
than a toy example
of a larger problem, there are more elegant ways to do it in R.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org