[R] Pack and Unpack Strings in R

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Jan 9 18:03:39 CET 2009

Gundala --

Gundala Viswanath wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Does R has any function/package that can pack
> and unpack string into bit size?

All of your questions relate to DNA strings. The R/Bioconductor package
Biostrings is designed to manipulate such objects. It does not
necessarily address this particular problem (because in general DNA
strings contain any of the 16 IUPAC symbols and hence compression
becomes less compelling, and as you indicate even with compression the
size of the data means that one might often need to process parts of the
data at a time), but may provide useful containers and methods that make
such issues less important.

 > source('http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R')
 > biocLite('Biostrings')
 > library('Biostrings')

see also the vignettes for the package, available within R or for example at

http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/Biostrings.html

It seems that you have data suitable for representation as a DNAStringSet.

The package is actively developed, and using the 'devel' version of R
(and hence 'devel' version of Biostrings) might provide additional
important facilities. If this proves useful then follow-up questions
should use the Bioconductor mailing lists

http://bioconductor.org/docs/mailList.html

Martin