[R] Problem with aovlmer.fnc in languageR

Chuck Clifton cec at psych.umass.edu
Fri Jan 9 03:48:36 CET 2009

I have been corresponding with Harald Baayen about this problem, and it
appears that something is broken with the mcmcsamp function that pvals.fnc
calls. Running pvals.fnc on an lmer object actually changes the contents of
the object (get a summary before and after running pvals.fnc and you'll see)
in a way that triggers this error message. Douglas Bates has been notified;
one can hope that the problem will be fixed in a future release of lme4.

Dear R list,

I have a recurring problem with the languageR package, specifically the
aovlmer.fnc function. When I try to run the following code (from R. H.
Baayen's textbook):

     # Example 1:
     library(languageR)
     latinsquare.lmer <- lmer(RT ~ SOA + (1 | Word) + (1 | Subject),
                              data = latinsquare)
     x <- pvals.fnc(latinsquare.lmer,
                    withMCMC = TRUE)
     aovlmer.fnc(latinsquare.lmer,
                 mcmc = x$mcmc,
                 which = c("SOAmedium", "SOAshort"))

I get the following error message (German locale):

     Fehler in anova(object) : Calculated PWRSS for a LMM is negative