[R] Error : unused arguments in pairs()

herwig bachmannherwig at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 23:32:13 CET 2009

Dear Prof. Ripley,

thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I still was not able to solve the problem.
I tried it with the Iris data and you can find the code below:

>  panel.cor <- function(x, y, digits=2, prefix="", cex.cor)

{
      usr <- par("usr"); on.exit(par(usr))
    par(usr = c(0, 1, 0, 1))
    r <- abs(cor(x, y))
    txt <- format(c(r, 0.123456789), digits=digits)[1]
    txt <- paste(prefix, txt, sep="")
    if(missing(cex.cor)) cex.cor <- 0.8/strwidth(txt)
    text(0.5, 0.5, txt, cex = cex.cor * r)
  }

 pairs(iris[1:4], main = "Anderson's Iris Data -- 3 species",
      pch = 21, bg = c("red", "green3", "blue")[unclass(iris$Species)],
lower.panel=panel.cor )

What I would ideally like to have is that the upper panel shows the plot
with the iris$Species color coded and the lower panel showing the
correlation coefficients  for the total data in the plot, but also for the
each iris$Species with the same color code as in the upper panels.
So the lower panel should therefore actually show 4 correlation coefficients
in each panel (color coded); It does not need to be sized according to the
value of the correlation coefficient as shown in the example above.
Any help with this would be appreciated a lot,

Kind regards,

Herwig

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Your panel function should have a ... argument: see the help page for
> pairs().  Since your example is not 'self-contained' I cannot test this
> out ....
>
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, herwig wrote:
>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am just starting in R and this might be a very basic question.
>> I applied one on the examples of
>> pairs()
>> to my own data. The examples shows scatter plots on one side of the
>> matrix
>> and the correlation coefficients on the other which works well. I  then
>> modified it slightly because I want different colors in the plots. Now i
>> am
>> getting the error of unused arguments, because the color arguments are
>> not
>> used when the corellation coefficient is printed.
>> I would be very greatful if anyone could help me to get rid of this
>> error.
>>

>> Here my code:
>>
>>> panel.cor <- function(x, y, digits=2, prefix="", cex.cor)
>> + {
>> +     usr <- par("usr"); on.exit(par(usr))
>> +     par(usr = c(0, 1, 0, 1))
>> +     r <- abs(cor(x, y))
>> +     txt <- format(c(r, 0.123456789), digits=digits)[1]
>> +     txt <- paste(prefix, txt, sep="")
>> +     if(missing(cex.cor)) cex.cor <- 0.8/strwidth(txt)
>> +     text(0.5, 0.5, txt, cex = cex.cor * r)
>> + }
>>> pairs(pep[9:18],cex.labels = 0.6, pch = 21, bg = c("red", "blue",
>>> "green",
>>> "yellow","brown")[unclass(pep$taxonomic.position)],