[R] Using JRI and Java 1.6 on MAC OS X

dobomode dobomode at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 08:44:23 CET 2009

Dear R-Help,

I am trying to get JRI (the rJava interface allowing Java to connect
to R) to work. I was able to run it a week ago when I was doing some
testing using Java 1.5. However, I am developing a GUI application
using some of the new Java 1.6 features and I just can't get JRI to
work with this setup.

Here is what I get:

Cannot find JRI native library!
Please make sure that the JRI native library is in a directory listed
in java.library.path.

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
Versions/2.8/Resources/library/rJava/jri/libjri.jnilib:
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1822)
        at org.rosuda.JRI.Rengine.<clinit>(Rengine.java:9)
        at mfa.mes.gui.MESFrame.initR(MESFrame.java:79)
        at mfa.mes.gui.MESFrame.<init>(MESFrame.java:313)
        at mfa.mes.MES.main(MES.java:131)
Java Result: 1

Notice that it did actually find the JRI.jar library. The error seems
to be related to the native JNI. I have set my java library path and
R_HOME correctly.

I saw this entry in the changelog for rJava:

0.4-10  2006-09-14
    o   Removed obsolete JNI 1.1 support that is no longer provided
        in JDK 1.6 and thus prevented rJava from being used with JDK
1.6

I am curious if this change has been applied to JRI as well. It would
be very unfortunate if JRI is incompatible with the latest JDK.

I am running NetBeans / JDK 1.6 on Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dobo