[R] formula formatting/grammar for regression

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Fri Feb 27 20:35:57 CET 2009

BKMooney <bkmooney <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Also, when I tried to use nls, I get an error:
> nls(ypts ~ exp(xpts))
> Error in getInitial.default(func, data, mCall = as.list(match.call(func,  :
>   no 'getInitial' method found for "function" objects
>
> If someone could please point out what I am doing wrong, or point me to a
> good resource on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Read the documents on nls. There is not a simple example of the form
you used on that page, all have a start value, or a special function
to supply the initial values. For all non-linear fitting, you must
supply reasonably good starting values, for example from a linear
fit on the log-transformed data.

Dieter