[R] Ordinal Mantel-Haenszel type inference

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 16:35:17 CET 2009

I suspect that what you need will be in "S-PLUS (and R) Manual to
Accompany Agresti’s Categorical Data Analysis (2002)" 2nd edition by
Laura A. Thompson, 2007 which I have always been able to find with a
Google search. Yep, it's still there:

https://home.comcast.net/~lthompson221/Splusdiscrete2.pdf

Its Chapter 7, "Logit Models for Multinomial Responses " discusses
various cumulative logit models.

The polr function (proportional odds logistic regression) in MASS will
return the regression equivalent of what you are asking for. Thompson
says the lrm in the "Desing library" will also do it, by which she
really means that the lrm in the Design package by Harrell will do it.
The link she offers is outdated and it doesn't really matter for
obtaining the Hmisc/Design packages, since they are on CRAN, but
online available documentation is currently at:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/StatComp

She then also mentions "lcr (library ordinal), and nordr (library
gnlm)". Later in the chapter she illustrates the use of the vglm
function in in the vgam package.

--
David Winsemius