[R] combining identify() and locator()

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 10:10:53 CET 2009

2009/2/27 Brian Bolt <bbolt at kalypsys.com>:
> Hi,
> I am wondering if there might be a way to combine the two functions
> identify() and locator() such that if I use identify() and then click on a
> point outside the set tolerance, the x,y coordinates are returned as in
> locator().  Does anyone know of a way to do this?
> Thanks in advance for any help

 Since "identify" will only return the indexes of selected points, and
it only takes on-screen clicks for coordinates, you'll have to
leverage "locator" and duplicate some of the "identify" work. So call
locator(1), then compute the distancez to your points, and if any are
below your tolerance mark them using text(), otherwise keep the
coordinates of the click.

 You can use dist() to compute a distance matrix, but if you want to
totally replicate identify's tolerance behaviour I think you'll have
to convert from your data coordinates to device coordinates. The
grconvertX and Y functions look like they'll do that for you.

 Okay, that's the flatpack delivered, I think you've got all the
parts, some assembly required!

Barry