[R] Inefficiency of SAS Programming

Wensui Liu liuwensui at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 00:39:13 CET 2009

Frank,
I couldn't locate the program you mentioned. doyou mind being more
specific? could you please point me to the file? i am just curious.
thanks.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Frank E Harrell Jr
<f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> If anyone wants to see a prime example of how inefficient it is to program
> in SAS, take a look at the SAS programs provided by the US Agency for
> Healthcare Research and Quality for risk adjusting and reporting for
> hospital outcomes at http://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/software.htm .
>  The PSSASP3.SAS program is a prime example.  Look at how you do a vector
> product in the SAS macro language to evaluate predictions from a logistic
> regression model.  I estimate that using R would easily cut the programming
> time of this set of programs by a factor of 4.
>
> Frank
> --
> Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine
>                     Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University

WenSui Liu
Acquisition Risk, Chase
Blog   : statcompute.spaces.live.com

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people.”
--  Isaac Newton