[R] Using very large matrix

Tony Breyal tony.breyal at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 25 12:58:11 CET 2009

looks like you've run out of memory mate, because that sure is a big
matrix, you'd probably need 64 bit OS/CPU/R and loads of RAM.

see thread: http://www.nabble.com/Error-in-matrix:--too-many-elements-specified-td20457910.html

I know there are some packages on cran which help with large datasets,
but i haven't got around to using them myself (yet).

from: http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

[quote start...]
Large memory and out-of-memory data

* The bigmemory package by Kane and Emerson permits storing large
objects such as matrices in memory and uses external pointer objects
to refer to them. This permits transparent access from R without
bumping against R's internal memory limits. Several R processes on the
same computer can also shared big memory objects.

* A large number of database packages, and database-alike packages
(such as sqldf by Grothendieck) are also of potential interest but not
(yet?) reviewed here.
[quote end.]

Just for fun, i just tried (for the first time):
> library(bigmemory)
> big.matrix(nrow=80000, ncol=80000, type='double')

but i ended up crashing out of R on my low spec windows XP uni
laptop :D

hope that helps a little,
Tony Breyal