[R] polr (MASS): score test for proportional odds model

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Wed Feb 25 00:30:51 CET 2009

For the following model,

library(vcd)
arth.polr <- polr(Improved ~ Sex + Treatment + Age, data=Arthritis)
summary(arth.polr)

where Improved is an ordered, 3-level response I'm looking for a
*simple* way to test
the validity of the proportional odds assumption, typically done via a
score test
for equal slopes/effects over the predictors.

I do find a po.test= option in the repolr package for repeated measures,
but for my
(tutorial) purposes this is too complex.  Did I miss something simpler?

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.