[R] Zoo or TS

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:07:50 CET 2009

What is NYT?  Is it a dataframe?  Is "Title" a column?  What exactly
are you wanting to plot?  Is it just the values in column "B" where
"Title" is equal to "A"?  The posting guide does suggest that you
provide a reproducible set of code/data.  You can probably do what you
want if you can explain what you are after.  You are getting the error
because the 'if' function expects a single TRUE/FALSE value and your
use of '==' if probably returning multiple values, but since we don't
know what NYT is, it is hard to say.  If you are going to include some
data, please use 'dput' to create an expression that makes it easy to
read in.

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 1:12 PM, miya <ontiveros_paloma at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to attach the error it is giving me.
>
>> if(NYT["Title"]=="A")
> + plot(NYT["B"],ylim=c(0,50),xlim=c(0,50),ylab="B",xlab="A")
> Warning message:
> In if (NYT["Title"] == "A") plot(NYT["B"],  :
>  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
>
> Thank you
>

> Tony Breyal wrote:
>>
>> I think you need to put quotes around the column header name,
>> something like: NYT["Title"]
>>
>> example:
>>> my.df <- data.frame(header1=1:3, header2=1:3)
>>> my.df[header2]
>> Error in `[.data.frame`(my.df, header2) : object "header2" not found
>>> my.df["header2"]
>>   header2
>> 1       1
>> 2       2
>> 3       3
>>
>> Hope that helps a little,
>> Tony Breyal
>>
>> On 22 Feb, 04:41, miya <ontiveros_pal... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I'm trying to plot some data across time. I have a list of articles,
>>> ranks,
>>> date/times, authors, etc. Someone suggested using zoo and someone
>>> suggested
>>> using ts. I'm pretty new at this and have been trying a simple if()
>>> plot()
>>> statement, but it doesn't seem to work. I keep getting an error that
>>> Title
>>> does not exist. Basically its saying that the headers do not exist as
>>> objects. Can anyone please help.
>>>
>>> Below is what I've been trying to do and a sample of the data I am
>>> working
>>> with.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Time    Date    Rank    Topic   Title   Author
>>> 0       xxxx    1       A       J       By PAUL
>>> 0       xxxx    2       B       K       By PERRI
>>> 0       xxxx    3       C       L       By WILL
>>> 0       xxxx    4       D       M       By ANA
>>> 1       xxxx    1       A       J       By PAUL
>>> 1       xxxx    2       B       L       By WILL
>>> 1       xxxx    3       C       M       By ANA