[R] orthogonal/perpendicular distance from regression line

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 10:06:40 CET 2009

Hi Jeff,

>> You could do this with [1], but if you are hoping to learn something
>> statistical by doing this you should probably reconsider, because the
>> regression line residuals are minimized along the dependent variable
>> axis,

It should be said that there are valid forms of linear regression where this
is not true and it is the orthogonal residuals that are wanted. Perhaps the
main case is where there are errors in x and y: indeed, this is how the
"lines" (i.e. principal components) are fitted in principal component
analysis.

Regards, Mark.