[R] Problems installing RODBC as part of Rcmdr and as separatepackage

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:48:17 CET 2009

Marc Schwarz's solution solved my problem.
Thank you Marc!

John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

on 02/20/2009 09:27 AM John Sorkin wrote:
> Fedora 10
> R 2.8.1
>
> I hope someone can tell me the meaning of error I received trying to install RODBC and how I can get around the problem.
> n.b. The error originally occurred then I was installing Rcmdr. I then tried to install RODBC separately and received the same error.
>
> checking sql.h usability... no
> checking sql.h presence... no
> checking for sql.h... no
> checking sqlext.h usability... no
> checking sqlext.h presence... no
> checking for sqlext.h... no
> configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RODBC'
> ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/RODBC'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
> 	/tmp/RtmpA1nKF2/downloaded_packages
> Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("RODBC") :
>   installation of package 'RODBC' had non-zero exit status

John,

As root:

  yum install unixODBC unixODBC-devel

You need the unixODBC and the devel RPMs, the latter of which provides
the requisite header files.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz