[R] Matrix package: band matrix

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 14:35:16 CET 2009

If you can tolerate the subdiagonal and superdiagonal zero elements
being populated, then perhaps this is useful. If there is a subset
function as you suggest, then perhaps further reduction would be
feasible from this as a starting point. At least it would reduce the
size from 10^5 x 10^5 to 10^5 x 3:

library(Matrix)
xxx <- data.frame(x1 =1:5, y1=c(0,6,0,7,0) )
M= Matrix(0,5,5)
M[row(M) == col(M)] <- xxx$x1
M[row(M)-1 == col(M)] <- xxx$y1[1:(length(xxx$y1)-1)]
M[row(M) == col(M)-1] <- xxx$y1[1:(length(xxx$y1)-1)]

5 x 5 sparse Matrix of class "dgCMatrix"

[2,] 6 2 7 . .
[3,] . 7 3 8 .
[4,] . . 8 4 9

--