[R] Unadulterated plot

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 19 18:10:44 CET 2009

James Nicolson wrote:
> To All,
>
> I'm using R 2.8.1. I have attached two images, one shows what I get and
> the other shows what I want. All I want is the plotting region. Surely
> there must be a way of plotting individual regions/components in R?
>
> Patrizio, I prefer filled.contour() for my data. I still have the same
> problem (a legend to the right) if I use image() then contour()!

I don't see why you'd get a legend in that case.  But it's hard to get
the contour lines to match the colour changes
when using image with contour, so I can see why you might prefer
filled.contour.

I think you're going to have to edit filled.contour to do what you
want.  It's not too hard:  just comment out the code that sets up the
layout, then everything until just before the second plot.new().  Insert
par(mar=c(0,0,0,0)), and you'll get a filled contour plot with no margins.

Duncan Murdoch
> Regards,
> James
>
> ps. No need for apologies Simon :D I'm grateful for any assistance
> fruitless or not.
>

> Patrizio Frederic wrote:
>
>> James,
>> as I previously told you in my broken  English, probably the function
>> you're looking for is not filled.contour but image and contour
>> The following code makes exactly what you ask for
>>
>> data(akima)
>> akima
>> akima.smooth <-
>>  with(akima, interp(x, y, z, xo=seq(0,25, length=500),
>>                     yo=seq(0,20, length=500)))
>> op <- par(ann=FALSE, mai=c(0,0,0,0))
>> image  (akima.smooth, main = "interp(<akima data>, *) on finer grid")
>> contour(akima.smooth, add = TRUE,drawlabels=F)
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Patrizio
>>
>> 2009/2/19 James Nicolson <jlnicolson at gmail.com>:
>>

>>> good point! Provide your own set of x,y,z co-ords, mine are pretty big
>>> but you can use any.
>>>
>>> library(akima)
>>>
>>> fr3d = data.frame(x,y,z)
>>> xtrp <- interp(fr3d$x,fr3d$y,fr3d$z,linear=FALSE,extrap=TRUE,duplicate=
>>> "strip")
>>>
>>> op <- par(ann=FALSE, mai=c(0,0,0,0))
>>> filled.contour(xtrp$x, xtrp$y, xtrp$z, asp = 0.88402366864, col =
>>> rev(rainbow(28,start=0, end=8/12)), n = 40)