[R] indicator or deviation contrasts in log-linear modelling

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Thu Feb 19 14:30:53 CET 2009

Maja,

The need to interpret parameters in log-linear models (and therefore,
the need to understand how the model is parameterized) often vanishes
if you visualize the fitted model or the residuals in a mosaic display.

e.g., ucb1 asserts Admit is jointly independent of Gender and Dept ---
fits very badly, but the residuals show the *nature* of the association
not accounted for.
ucb2 - Admit and Gender conditionally independent, given Dept --- fits
badly overall, but only in one department.

 > library(vcd)
 > ucb1 <- loglm(~Admit + Gender*Dept, data=UCBAdmissions)
 > ucb1
Call:
loglm(formula = ~Admit + Gender * Dept, data = UCBAdmissions)

Statistics:
                  X^2 df P(> X^2)
Likelihood Ratio 877 11        0
Pearson          798 11        0
 > plot(ucb1)
 > ucb2 <- loglm(~Admit*Dept + Gender*Dept, data=UCBAdmissions)
 > ucb2
Call:
loglm(formula = ~Admit * Dept + Gender * Dept, data = UCBAdmissions)

Statistics:
                  X^2 df P(> X^2)
Likelihood Ratio  22  6   0.0014
Pearson           20  6   0.0028

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.