[R] type III effect from glm()

markleeds at verizon.net markleeds at verizon.net
Thu Feb 19 12:22:44 CET 2009

  Hi Simon: In below , test1 spelled out is count ~ siteall + yrs +
district + yrs:district so this is fine.

but in test2 , you have years interacting with district but not the main
effect for years. this is against the rules of marginality so I still
think there's a problem. I would wait for John or the other wizaRds to
respond ( you know who you are )  because I don't feel particularly
confident giving advice on this because I bang my head against it often
also. Plus, I gotta go home because it's getting light out soon ( i'm in
the US on the east coast ). Good luck.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at  6:10 AM, Simon Pickett wrote:

> Cheers Mark,
>
> I did originally think too, i.e. that not including the main effect
> was the problem. However, the same thing happens when I include main
> effects....
>

> test1<-glm(count~siteall+yrs*district,family=quasipoisson,weights=weight,data=m[x[[i]],])
>
> test2<-glm(count~siteall+district+yrs:district,family=quasipoisson,weights=weight,data=m[x[[i]],])
> anova(test1,test2,test="F")
>
> Model 1: count ~ siteall + yrs * district
> Model 2: count ~ siteall + district + yrs:district
>  Resid. Df Resid. Dev   Df Deviance F Pr(>F)
> 1      1933      75665
> 2      1933      75665    0        0
>
> Simon.
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: <markleeds at verizon.net>