[R] alpha shape function

Yihui Xie xieyihui at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:47:56 CET 2009

Hi,

If the convex hull for *all* the data points is not ideal enough, is
it feasible to break the data into small subsets using clustering
methods such as kmeans() and compute the convex hull for each cluster?
Finally we are able to know the "borders" of all clusters using
chull(); I don't know how difficult it will be to find an exact
solution to your problem in the future computation, but I think there
can be good enough approximations.

For example, you may choose a proper 'k' for the k-means clustering:

##
set.seed(1234)
devAskNewPage(ask = TRUE)
par(pch = 20)
dat = iris[, 1:2]
n = nrow(dat)
for (k in 2:30) {
    ch = integer()
    cl = kmeans(dat, k, 50)$cluster
    plot(dat, main = paste("k =", k))
    for (i in unique(cl)) {
        idx = chull(tmp <- dat[cl == i, ])
        ch = c(ch, as.integer(rownames(tmp[idx, ])))
        polygon(tmp[idx, ], border = NA, col = rgb(0, 0, 0, 0.2))
    }
    plot(dat, main = paste("Polygon shape when k =", k))
    polygon(dat[ch, ], col = rgb(0, 0, 0, 0.2))  # need to be ordered
}
##

One critical problem I have not solved in the above code, I think, is
the ordering of all the border points, so the last whole polygon looks
weird...

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
Phone: +86-(0)10-82509086 Fax: +86-(0)10-82509086