[R] Python and R

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Feb 17 23:58:46 CET 2009

Esmail Bonakdarian wrote:

> I am just wondering if any of you are doing most of your scripting
> with Python instead of R's programming language and then calling
> the relevant R functions as needed?

No, but if I wanted to do such a thing, I'd look at Sage:
http://sagemath.org/

It'll give you access to a lot more than just R.

> Is there much of a performance hit either way? (as both are interpreted
> languages)

Are you just asking, or do you have a particular execution time goal,
which if exceeded would prevent doing this?  I ask because I suspect
it's the former, and fast enough is fast enough.