[R] Applying functions to partitions

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Feb 16 22:23:03 CET 2009

Stavros Macrakis <macrakis at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Assuming your matrix is:
>
>     mm <- matrix(runif(6*6),6,6)
>
> And your blocks are defined by integers or factors:
>
>    cfact <- c(1,1,1,2,3,3)
>    rfact <- c(1,1,1,2,2,3)
>
> Then the following should do the trick:
>
>    matrix(tapply(mm, outer(rfact,cfact,paste), mean),
>               length(unique(rfact)))

or the variant

  idx <- outer(rfact, (cfact - 1) * max(rfact), "+")
  matrix(tapply(m, idx, mean), max(rfact))

The assumption is that cfact, rfact are integer valued with max(rfact)
<= nrow(m), max(cfact) <= ncol(m).

I think Stavros' solution will run in to trouble when there are more
than 9 row blocks, and '10 1' sorts before '2 1', for instance.

Martin