[R] Applying functions to partitions

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 16 21:02:45 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Titus von der Malsburg wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 01:45:52PM -0500, Stavros Macrakis wrote:
>> How are the blocks defined? As a priori index ranges? By factors? By
>> some property of i,j? Or...?
>
> Ok, I should have been more specific.
>
> The blocks are defined by factors.  There's a factor for the columns and
> a factor for the rows.  In the example below the column factor would be
> c(1,1,1,2,3,3) and the row factor c(1,1,1,2,2,3).  In the particular
> case I'm working on the matrix is square and symmetric and there's only
> one factor for both.

If the number of factor levels is manageable and if as.numeric(
your.factor ) orders the blocks properly something like this

mat <- model.matrix( ~ 0 + your.factor )

tab <- table( your.factor )

means <- (t(mat) %*% your.block.matrix %*% mat) / outer( tab, tab )

Alternatively, use

means <-
    sapply(split.data.frame(your.block.matrix,your.factor),function(x)
 		sapply(split(colMeans(x),your.factor),mean))

HTH,

Chuck