[R] How do I Edit Source Code Files On The Mac?

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 16 02:31:59 CET 2009

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, greggallen at gmail.com wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.11 on a G4.
>
> I use the "R" command, straight from a terminal, because the "GUI" is
> slower, and I've never liked GUIs anyway.
>
> I tried to set up my environment to use the vi editor, but it always
> tries to save it in wierd things like this:
>

> "/private/tmp/RtmpWIhhuo/41a7" 13L, 161C written
>
> Sure I can "cp" it from that to my R directory, but that just seems wrong.
>
> Anybody know what the "proper" way of editing and saving R source
> is?(Preferably from the Darwin command line.)

See http://ess.r-project.org/

You can run ESS in a terminal window (emacs -nw, I think) or you can
install a Mac-ified emacs called Aquamacs that preserves a lot of Mac
keybindings (some of which I 'disable' to prevent errant keystrokes from
borking my session). Aquamacs has ESS installed and has some buttons and
pull down menus that let you access ESS capabilities - saving you from
having to do much study before trying it out.

---

Also try

 	RSiteSearch('Mac editor')

at the R prompt to get threads about which editor to use.

HTH,

Chuck