[R] Outlier Detection for timeseries

Hans W. Borchers hwborchers at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 14:20:21 CET 2009

Pele <drdionc <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello R users,
>
> Can someone tell if there is a package in R that can do outlier detection
> that give outputs simiilar to what I got from SAS  below.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help!

I guess you are talking about the OUTLIER procedure in SAS that attempts
to detect 'additive outliers' and 'level shifts' in a 'response' series,
the second following Jong & Penzer's "Diagnosing shocks in time series".

I have not come across this method in R, but you might have a look into the
'robfilter' (Robust Time Series Filters) package with functions like
'dw.filter', 'adore.filter', or 'wrm.filter', see for instance

    "dw.filter is suitable for extracting low frequency components (the
    signal) from a time series which may be contaminated with outliers
    and can contain level shifts. For this, moving window techniques are
    applied."

If your time series is actually a response, you might prefer to look at
the series of residuals instead.