[R] Bootstrap or Wilcoxons' test?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Feb 14 08:09:09 CET 2009

The Wilcoxon rank sum test is not "plain and simple a test equality of
distributions". If it were such, it would be able to test for
differences in variance when locations were similar. For that purpose
it would, in point of fact, be useless. Compare these simple
situations w.r.t. the WRS:

 > x <- rnorm(100)  # mean=0, sd=1
 > y <- rnorm(100, mean=0, sd=4)
 > wilcox.test(x,y)

	Wilcoxon rank sum test with continuity correction

data:  x and y
W = 4518, p-value = 0.2394
alternative hypothesis: true location shift is not equal to 0

 > y <- rnorm(100, mean=.2, sd=0)
 >
 > wilcox.test(x,y)

	Wilcoxon rank sum test with continuity correction

data:  x and y
W = 3900, p-value = 0.004079
alternative hypothesis: true location shift is not equal to 0

It is a test of the equality of location (and the median is a readily
understood non-parametric measure of location). The test is derived
under the *assumption* that the samples are drawn from the *same*
distribution differing only by a shift. If the distributions were not
of the same family, the test would be invalidated. The wilcox.test
help page is informative, saying "the null hypothesis is that the
distributions of xand y differ by a location shift of mu". The
pseudomedian is optionally estimated when conf.int is set to TRUE. I
also suggest looking at the formula for the statistic. It is available
with getAnywhere(wilcox.test.default).

If one wants a test for "equality of distribution", one could turn to
a more general test (with loss of power but with at least some
potential for detecting differences in dispersion) such as the
Kolmogorov-Smirnov or Kuiper tests. With x and y as above:

 > ks.test(x,y)

	Two-sample Kolmogorov-Smirnov test

data:  x and y
D = 0.61, p-value < 2.2e-16
alternative hypothesis: two-sided

Warning message:
In ks.test(x, y) : cannot compute correct p-values with ties

Returning to the OP's question, rather than worrying about normality
in samples, the greater threat to validity in regression methods is
unequal variances across groups or the range of continuous predictors.

--
David Winsemius