[R] Meta-Analyisis on Correlations

Sebastian Stegmann stegmann at psych.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Feb 13 12:11:36 CET 2009

Dear R-Community,

I'm currently trying to find a way to conduct a meta-analysis in R.
I would like to analyze data from mostly-cross-sectional survey-studies. The
effect sizes would be correlations.

The R packages "meta" and "rmeta" are, as far as I can see, set up for
analysis with effect sizes for differences (i.e. comparison of the
means/odds-ratios of experimental and control group).

Only the function "metagen" from the "meta"-package looks like it would work
with correlations. The problem here: One would need to know the standard
error of the correlation. The SE is not usually reported in the studies I
have (only means, SDs and Alphas for the single variables). So the SE would
have to be calculated somehow... But maybe "metagen" is the wrong function
to start with in the first place?

I'm wondering whether there might be anyone knowing how to conduct a
meta-analysis based on correlations in R?

Thanks in advance
Sebastian

P.S.: Of course, I'm dreaming of such a step-by-step-script like the
absolutely marvellous ones provided by Bliese for multilevel-analysis in R
:-)

---------
Dipl.-Psych. Sebastian Stegmann
Managing Editor, British Journal of Management
Goethe University
Institute of Psychology
Department of Social Psychology
Kettenhofweg 128