[R] Eror message: not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0

Powers, Randall - BLS Powers.Randall at bls.gov
Thu Feb 12 16:26:30 CET 2009

I am running 2.6.0 because I can't seem to get 2.8.1 configured
properly.

When I do ./configure, it goes through a long list, and ends with

 configure: error: --with-iconv=yes (default) and a suitable iconv is
not available

When I run make, I get the message below.

# make
make: not found

So does anybody have any help regarding how do get the install to work?
Otherwise, I am stuck with 2.6.0.

Thanks