[R] How to comment in R

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Wed Feb 11 22:02:21 CET 2009

Gavin Simpson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 20:22 +0100, Wacek Kusnierczyk wrote:
>
>> Greg Snow wrote:
>>
>>> If it is fairly trivial to implement then go ahead and implement it,
>>>
>> patches are always welcome.
>>
>> now that's *not* true.  not so long ago i submitted a patch improving on
>> Prof Brian Ripley's ad hoc fix to grep, and it was silently ignored.
>>

> Hi Wacek,
>
> I recall your posting with patches, but I don't recall whether these
> were done via the bug repository. If they weren't,

they weren't.  originally, i answered Prof Brian Ripley's post
announcing the fix (which was sent to r help), and since it was ignored,
i resent the fix to r-devel.  if this is not enough, it would be great
if i had been informed about it.  i've seen many bug reports rejected,
and this was not really a bug fix -- at least not immediate, though it
might prevent future bugs due to the distributed nature of the original fix.

> then can I suggest
> you file a bug under the WishList category (or if your patch was in
> response to a bug also sent through the bug repository, attach/reply to
> that with the correct PR#) in the bug repository? At least then someone
> on R core will have to do something with it - even if they subsequently
> ignore it (which one hopes would not happen).
>
> If the patch was just posted to R-Devel, then given the torrent of
> emails people tend to get these days things can get overlooked in there
> for no other reason than people are busy.

that would be a reasonable explanation.  i haven't complained.

> It would be a shame indeed if your contribution was not even
> acknowledged just because it got overlooked.

it was not a big deal, more a matter of style and coderedundancy than of
correctness.  for myself, i don't need it to get through.  i'll give it
another try.  thanks for the response.

vQ