[R] generalized mixed model + mcmcsamp

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 11 14:20:15 CET 2009

Thomas Mang <Thomas.Mang <at> fiwi.at> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have fitted a generalized linear mixed effects model using lmer
> (library lme4), and the family = quasibinomial. I have tried to obtain a
> MCMC sample, but on calling mcmcsamp(model1, 1000) I get the following
> error which I don't understand at all:
>
> Error in .local(object, n, verbose, ...) : Update not yet written
>
> traceback() delivers:
> 4: .Call(mer_MCMCsamp, ans, object)
> 3: .local(object, n, verbose, ...)
> 2: mcmcsamp(model1, n = 1000, verbose = FALSE)
> 1: mcmcsamp(model1, n = 1000, verbose = FALSE)
>
> which again doesn't particularly help me.
>
> R is 2.8.1 under Windows, lme4 clean installed just today.
> Before the model is fitted I just read in data, and transform some
> variables. No other library is loaded.
>
> Any ideas ?

   Bad news: mcmcsamp is not working at present even
for LMMs, has never worked (so far) for GLMMs, and
the author (Doug Bates) says he's not sure there's
a coherent way to deal with quasi- models in the
mcmcsamp framework (since it doesn't correspond to
any well-defined distribution).
   You may want to browse the archives of the
r-sig-mixed-models list, and/or request more
information there.

  Ben Bolker