[R] OT: A test with dependent samples.

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Feb 11 01:06:05 CET 2009

The only question at issue (i.e. capable of being addressed) is: is giving
the drug to non-vomiting cats associated with vomiting? (I would strongly
suspect that cats that were vomiting beforehand would have been excluded
from the study, as the researcher would have felt that one couldn't then
tell whether or not the drug caused vomiting problems for them. No?)

There were 73 non-vomiting cats, 12 of which started vomiting after
receiving the drug. All I can do is give a confidence interval for the
estimated proportion of nonvomiting cats that vomit when given this drug and
perhaps ask whether it is consistent with their nonvomiting status before.
Which is what I did. And it's pretty convincing that giving the pill is
associated with vomiting, right?

Whether the vomiting was associated with the giving of this **particular**
drug is, of course, impossible to tell, because the researcher failed to
include placebo controls. I chose 0 for a null as a representation of their
non-vomiting status, but the scientific question of interest is probably to
compare them to the proportion of cats that would vomit if given any pill at
all. Without any placebo controls, who can tell? Substitute a prior guess if
you like for a Null. Which is exactly the point that Marc Schwartz made --
that is, that the data are probably completely useless to answer the
question of interest because the researcher messed up the design.

-- Bert Gunter