[R] Rterm.exe stops responding to keyboard input

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 10 20:13:07 CET 2009

Hi,

this sounds awfully similar to what I reported in r-help thread '[R]
Windows Vista, Rterm & LeftAlt + Tab issue' on Aug 21, 2008, cf.

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2008-August/171548.html

At least we are not alone ;)  ...and I though it was an issue with
Windows Vista only, because I didn't notice any problem with Windows
XP Pro I had before.  It might have been that I only had SP 2 (I
think), so it may be related to post-SP 2 updates that are also
included in Vista.

In Windows, you can shift between applications using either
LeftAlt+TAB or RightAlt+TAB, but I discovered that the freezing
problem only occurred with LeftAlt+TAB, which is the combination I use
most frequently.  I ended up remapping the physical left-most Alt key
(on a US keyboard) to signal Right Alt (and vice versa for the
right-most Alt key).  I used KeyTweak
[http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/] do this.  Since then I've
forgot about the issue, so I guess it works to circumvent the problem.

Let us know if this solves your problem

Henrik