[R] Help regarding White's Heteroscedasticity Correction

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Feb 10 15:57:15 CET 2009

Dear Kishore,

Yes, White's heteroscedasticity-consistent standard errors are just that --
standard errors for the OLS coefficients that are consistent in the presence
of heteroscedasticity. The coefficients themselves don't change. There is an
issue here: although the standard errors and OLS coefficients are
consistent, the OLS estimates lose efficiency. If you know that pattern of
heteroscedasticity, then you might get more efficient estimates by taking it
into account, e.g., in weighted-least-squares regression, or, if the
residual spread increases with the fitted values, by transforming the
response.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor