[R] R equivalent of SAS Cochran-Mantel-Haenszel tests?

vito muggeo vmuggeo at dssm.unipa.it
Mon Feb 9 16:46:44 CET 2009

Dear Michael,
It sounds as a linear-by-linear loglinear model (and its variants) which
uses scores for one or more variables in the table.. (see Agresti, 1990,
Categorical Data Analysis. I do remember the pages and I have not the
book here..)

If this is the case, you can use standard call to glm(..,
family=poisson) with score variables in the linear predictor. For
instance for a two-way table with ordered variables the linear-by-linear
model is,

glm(freq~factor(x)+factor(y)+I(score.x*score.y), family=poisson)

The CMH test, probably, is the score test of the parameter of
I(score.x*score.y)..

best,
vito

--