[R] (no subject)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 15:09:32 CET 2009

You first need to look at the documentation for the mode, class and
typeof functions. (This should have been covered early in any of the
standard texts.)

You are using the function "[[" on a list with one element and it
appears you are getting a vector.

Try:

is.vector(bycontract[[1]])

mode(bycontract)
class(bycontract)
typeof(bycontract)

this.thing <- bycontract[[1]]
mode(this.thing)
class(this.thing)
typeof(this.thing)

Now you have in "this.thing" what some people outside R might call
"just one series", but R users would call a "vector". There are very
useful indexed series objects of class "zoo", but it doesn't appear as
though you are quite ready for that level of complexity. Install and
load the zoo package for addition of that facility when you are ready .

--
David Winsemius

in this case