[R] paraPen in gam [mgcv 1.4-1.1] and centering constraints

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 11:07:28 CET 2009

Daniel,

There's nothing built in to constraint the coefficients in this way, but it's
not too difficult to reparameterize to impose any linear constraint. The key
is to find an orthogonal basis for  null space of the constraint. Then it's
easy to re-parameterize to work in that space. Here's a simple linear model
based example ....

## simulated problem: linear model subject to constraint
## i.e y = X b + e subject to C b=0
X <- matrix(runif(40),10,4) ## a model matrix
y <- rnorm(10)              ## a response
C <- matrix(1,1,4)          ## a constraint matrix so C b = 0

## Get a basis for null space of constraint...
qrc <- qr(t(C))
Z <- qr.Q(qrc,complete=TRUE)[,(nrow(C)+1):ncol(C)]

## absorb constraint into basis...
XZ <- X%*%Z

## fit model....
b <- lm(y~XZ-1)

## back to original parameterization
beta <- Z%*%coef(b)
sum(beta) ## it works!

## If there had been a penalty matrix, S, as well,
## then it should have been transformed as follows....

S <- t(Z)%*%S%*%Z

... So provided that you have the model matrix for the term that you want to
penalize in `gam' then it's just a matter of transforming that model matrix
and corresponding penalty/ies, using a null space matrix like Z.

Note that the explicit formation of Z is not optimally efficient here, but
this won't have a noticeable impact on  the total computational cost in this
context anyway (given that mgcv is not able to make use of all that lovely
sparcity in the MRF, :-( ).

Hope this helps.

best,
Simon