[R] Best 64-bit Linux distro for R?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky zznmeb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 01:33:32 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
> To differentiate the then-different
> chips of AMD from Intels Itanium ia64 line, the 'amd64' name was
> introduced.  These days ia64 is ancient history and "we're all amd64 users".
>
> By the way, if you decide to go with Ubuntu or Debian, the r-sig-debian list
> is there to help.
>
> Hth, Dirk

You will also see the "amd64" architecture referred to by the name
"x86_64". It is yet another name for the same architecture. As far as
the choice of distro is concerned, I've had total success with R on
all the major distros on my 64-bit machine. But I would definitely
give the nod to a Debian-based distro like Ubuntu because of the large
existing base of R packages in the Debian / Ubuntu repositories.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky