[R] installing R on Ubuntu

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Feb 8 21:13:33 CET 2009

Dear Paul,

I haven't read everything in this thread, but have a couple of comments
relative to using the R Commander:

On
> Behalf Of Paul Heinrich Dietrich
> Sent: February-08-09 9:08 AM
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] installing R on Ubuntu
>

> I would really like to see a good introduction to Emacs, and will check
out
> that link.  I know that Emacs and ESS are supposed to be the best, and are
> the most customizable.  The reason I put the R Commander GUI instead of
> Emacs/ESS is because in my first attempt to get R on Ubuntu Linux, I did
> successfully get Emacs/ESS working (sadly, I don't remember how exactly),
> but found it too frustrating.  Again, I'm sure it's the best in the end,
but
> here's what was driving me nuts:

The R Commander isn't meant to be a serious programming editor, but rather a
basic-statistics GUI. I think that you'll find it disappointing as an
editor.

> Copy/Paste is not Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v...I figured it out, but don't remember
> what it is.
> Entering a _ automatically creates a <-, and you must enter __ to get _.
> There is no "stop" button (hopefully there is one in R Commander, haven't
> explored yet).

There is no "stop" button in the Rcmdr; having one isn't be a bad idea, but
I'm not sure how I could implement it in a platform-independent manner (or
even, frankly, in a platform-dependent manner). Perhaps someone has a
suggestion for doing that.

Regards,
 John