[R] Problems installing/updating packages in Linux

Paul Heinrich Dietrich paul.heinrich.dietrich at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 19:34:27 CET 2009

Thanks for the replies, they are helping.  I downloaded the recommended
manual, and I'm sure that will help too.  When I installed R, I did not
(previously) obtain the R-2.8.1.tar.gz, but tried to follow some
instructions I found elsewhere online (which apparently weren't right).  I
did have the deb source command and when I typed R into the Bash terminal, I
had v.2.8.1, but all packages I downloaded went to some folder entitled
2.6.2.  Trying to solve things, I was turning on permissions all over the
place, and it caused problems.

This morning, I have backed up my hard drive, re-formatted my computer again
with Linux Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron from scratch, and am trying to follow
that R Admin manual.  I'm normally good with computers, but am completely
new to Linux.  The main purpose of this computer is R, so I guess I was
hoping to get R set up quickly and correctly, and learn Linux in the
background as I go.  But it seems very difficult to do this.

The first thing I'm stumbling on in the R Admin manual is where am I
supposed to unpack R-2.8.1.tar.gz?  Somehow, I'll bet this matters.  Any
step-by-step command help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.