[R] R on mobile devices

nashjc at uottawa.ca nashjc at uottawa.ca
Sat Feb 7 22:40:48 CET 2009

This is not really an answer to the original post, but an alternative
possibility that might benefit the R community as well as offering some
commercial revenue to someone with entrepreneurial instincts.

We have several web-based and similar interfaces to R. It should be
possible to have a server set up to accept a "client" parameter that tells
the server of the display capabilities of the mobile client device, which
might also be a full screen.

Advantages:
- access to (and collaborative possibilities for) project data and scripts
- up-to-date packages
- cross-platform (well cross-client anyway)

Disadvantages:
- need ned
- some issues of data security
- work to establish nice interface setup for various devices

I'm sure people will think of others.

One advantage to the R community may be a service to get people started
with R. However, for long-term stability, this needs to have a revenue
model of some sort. My guess is that it could be a rather inexpensive
subscription service and still be a pleasant source of revenue to whoever
sets up the service(s).

As this is not "help" per se, I suggest off-list discussion. If this
proves to be fruitful, I'll post a summary later.

John Nash