[R] The Origins of R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 5 16:16:41 CET 2009

On 2/5/2009 1:05 AM, Mark Difford wrote:
>>> I think that all appeared on January 8 in Vance's blog posting, with a
>>> comment on it by David M Smith on Jan 9.  So those people have -27 days
>
> Then there was no need for vituperative comments (not from you, of course):
> simply point doubters to the right place, as you have done. But Mr. Vance's
> comments only deepen the "mystery."
>
> If Mr. Vance was aware of the true origins of R, why did he choose to
> misrepresent them in his article, which is what got the publicity and which
> is the item that most people saw/read? Most right-thinking people don't,
> wouldn't, or haven't taken the matter further than that. Their criticisms,
> as mine have been, have been aimed at the NY Times and Mr. Vance's lack of
> ethics. It also seems clear from Mr. Vance's comments that there was no
> editorial or sub-editorial meddling.

That's not what I read in the posting to this list that I cited.

I doubt if Ashlee Vance is reading this list, so it doesn't really seem
fair to blame him if he doesn't respond to your attacks.

So I'm not complaining, but the main problem I saw in his article was
that it didn't mention me.  I knew Robert Gentleman (even had an office
next to him!) before he started R:  surely that must have been a key
influence.  Why else did he move to the far side of the globe?  And not
only that, but to compound the insult, the NY Times has failed to
mention me every day since then!

Duncan Murdoch