[R] question about running multiple R windows

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Feb 5 10:31:57 CET 2009

milton ruser wrote:
> Dear George,
> I think it will depends on the amount of memory that each your session will
> need.
> Case each session use a big amount of memory, may be your some of your
> sessions will get error. I also think that you will not save time if you
> start several dataset at same time, because windows is windows.

Errrr, you obviously never tried. Please don't speculate.

For CRAN, we are installing and checking all > 1600 CRAN packages on a
Windows machine in less than 5 hours, because it runs in parallel on 8
CPU cores. In scaling is almost linear up to the number of actual CPU
cores in your system - as long as a sufficient amount of memory is
available.

Uwe Ligges