[R] R memory usage and size limits

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 5 10:09:42 CET 2009

Please read ?"Memory-limits" and the R-admin manual for basic
information.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Tom Quarendon wrote:

> I have a general question about R's usage or memory and what limits exist on
> the size of datasets it can deal with.
> My understanding was that all object in a session are held in memory. This
> implies that you're limited in the size of datasets that you can process by
> the amount of memory you've got access to (be it physical or paging). Is this
> true? Or does R store objects on disk and page them in as parts are needed in
> the way that SAS does?

That's rather a false dichotomy: paging uses the disk, so the
distinction is if R implemented its own virtual memory system or uses
the OS's one (the latter).

There are also interfaces to DBMSs for use with large datasets: see
the R-data manual and also look at the package list in the FAQ.

> Are there 64 bit versions of R that can therefore deal with much larger
> objects?

Yes, there have been 64-bit versions of R for many years, and they are
in routine use on very large problems.