[R] Problems in Recommending R

friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Feb 4 18:56:30 CET 2009

  >> > One of my colleagues is a interdisciplinary PhD in Design and
  >> > Psychology and he has an "in" with a design school where we might be
  >> > able to get students to take on the redesign of the website.
  >>
  >> Thanks a lot, sounds exactly like what we need. If they don't succeed
  >> we can always by time from a professional afterwards. But I'd say
  >> let's give them a shot. For the students it should be more thrilling
  >> to work on a site that gets thousands of hits per day rather than
  >> redoing the menu of the school, cafeteria ;-)

  > It might be good to put some mild restriction on the design:

  >  * should be valid (x)html and css

Of course (although the current page also does not validate without
errors ;-)

  >  * use the YUI css grid framework for layout

Never heard about that one, but looks sensible.

  >  * use jquery for any (subtle) animated or interactive effects

Actually, I'd prefer no javascript at all if possible. Simply has
better performance on old hardware (and R is used a lot in developing
countries).

Best,
Fritz

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Leisch

Institut für Statistik                          Tel: (+49 89) 2180 3165
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität                  Fax: (+49 89) 2180 5308
Ludwigstraße 33
D-80539 München                     http://www.statistik.lmu.de/~leisch