[R] Problems in Recommending R

Neil Shephard nshephard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:17:39 CET 2009

hadley wrote:

> Have you ever used the R website?
>
> To download the latest version for R for windows you have to:

No I don't use windows and install R via the package management system of my
chosen distribution (http://www.gentoo.org/).

That said I have installed from source in the past when starting out with
GNU/Linux and using Slackware, and I _never_ had a problem finding the
source tarball to download.

Perhaps this is a deliberate design and serves as an "intelligence" test.
If you can't navigate through to find the correct download you're really
going to struggle getting started with R ;-D

The most useful thing (and quite rightly so) on the front page is the link
the the FAQ which should be the starting point for anyone looking at any new
software, and answers/explains everything thats pertinent!  (At least thats
what I read first when I start using new software and have questions).

hadley wrote:

> And then if you want to email the url of that page to someone else you
> have to jump through hoops because it's embedded in a frame.

I'd hit 'Back' on my browser, then right-click on the link I want to send
and select 'Copy Link Location' and paste it into an email.

Neil