[R] ThinkCell type waterfall charts in R?

Kerstin kerstin.balka at open-innovation-projects.org
Tue Feb 3 11:30:51 CET 2009

Jim Lemon wrote:
> Kerstin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> with PowerPoint and ThinkCell one can draw something they call
>> waterfall chart and it looks like this:
>> http://www.think-cell.com/products/images/waterfall.gif
>>
>> I found discussions on waterfall charts in the archive of this
>> mailinglist, but unfortunately they looked totally different. Other
>> names for this type of plot seem to be bridge chart, cascade chart,
>> stair case chart, etc. but neither of them brought successful
>> results. So I decided to ask you directly on the list.
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea on how I could plot this type of chart in R?
> Well Kirsten, it's a real challenge trying to find something that you
> _can't_ plot in R. Perhaps if you sent some data to the mailing list
> and a description of how the various counts (?) are related to one
> another, some R-nut may reply with what you want.
>
> Jim
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

In the attached pdf you can see the chart I would like to draw with R. I
could of course make my life easier and use the Power Point chart, but
importing a ppt chart into Latex would not make me sleep very well,
besides the fact that all other plots in my document will come from R
and I don't want this one to look totally different...

Cheers
Kerstin