[R] sem package and AMOS

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 2 23:45:46 CET 2009

Dear Anthony,

sem() does FIML estimation, not 2SLS, and so it's hard to understand
why you're getting "nearly identical" parameter estimates but very
different coefficient standard errors and model chi-squares. In fact,
unless the problem is very ill-conditioned, the parameter estimates
should be the same within rounding error, as should the model
chi-square. There is some room for small differences in the standard
errors -- sem() uses a numerical Hessian and I'm not sure what AMOS
does -- but large differences are indicative of some problem.

I suspect that you're not fitting quite the same model in sem() and
AMOS.

I hope this helps,
 John