[R] Problems in Recommending R

friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Feb 2 12:56:15 CET 2009

  > Hi,
  > you are probably right, though I must say that I like *spartanic and
  > efficient* homepages and I don't think that the example given by the
  > first mail is a good prototype for the R homepage. But, yes, occasional
  > face lifting may be adequate.  Anti-aliasing is of course simple, but
  > that's probably not the point. (And I know that there are graphics
  > experts with a masters in psychology between us.)

  > So, why not a new Homepage Graphics Competition 2009? There is still
  > some time until useR!2009 in Rennes:

  > http://www2.agrocampus-ouest.fr/math/useR-2009/

Perhaps we should extend that to a competition for the complete design
of the homepage?

We often get emails like the first in this thread that R could do with
an update on homepage design (I fully agree) ... but actually nobody
volunteers to do it. Hence, we still have what I did when the
worldwide number of R users was probably less than 1000.

For technical reasons there are some conditions: the homepage is
maintained via SVN like the R sources, so all should be plain HTML, no
content management system etc.

Ad frames: the main reason that I used them in the first place is to
have the menus etc in only one file, no need for updating several
files when a link changes. Today I would probably use iframes, but any
other soultion is fine, too.

Another plus would be if we could use the same design for CRAN, and
that means no server-trickery like server-side includes etc (because
we do not control the server setup of the mirrors).

Best,
Fritz

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Leisch

Institut für Statistik                          Tel: (+49 89) 2180 3165
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität                  Fax: (+49 89) 2180 5308
Ludwigstraße 33
D-80539 München                     http://www.statistik.lmu.de/~leisch