[R] Environmental variables

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Feb 2 01:10:47 CET 2009

I use a Mac (10.4.11 Mac Os X).

In my .tcshrc I define an environmental variable MY.
Is it possible to find out its value from inside R? When one loads
R for Mac OS X Cocoa GUI written by:
	Simon Urbanek
	Stefano M. Iacus
are files like .tcshrc read by R?

Can I make the value of this environmental variable available to R?

Sys.getenv() produces a lot of output, with the values of many environmental
variables, but not this one.

Do I need a file with the correct value of MY, and have both R and my Unix
shell read the same file, or is there a better way to proceed? I want to
avoid duplicating the information in source files, as this can lead to a
setup that is very hard to maintain.

Thanks for any help.
David