[R] factorial analysis influenced by data skewness

julien julien.pompon at agr.gc.ca
Wed Dec 30 19:26:33 CET 2009

Hello

I run a factorial analysis on 20 variables describing the behaviour of
insects on 9 different resistant plants. I then biologically interpreted
each of the 5 factors obtained, with respect to the variables with the
highest loading value for each factor. And I run a GLM on each factor with
plant as independent variable. Eventually, I inferred the resistance
mechanism by comparing (through post-hoc Dunnett's test) the factor score
between each resistant plant and a susceptible standard.
This analysis gave me good results.

However, I am worried that the factors I obtained may vary with the
variability of the variables. For instance, if most of the plants exhibit
the same type of resistance, resulting in a skewness of my dataset, do the
factors reflect all the resistance mechanisms, even the ones in minority?
Additionally, I would appreciate your opinion on conducting GLM on factors.

thank you very much in advance.
Julien.